August 15, 2010

Now back to our regularly scheduled program

Lost steam last night, but I have recovered for the morning rally.  Sitting here with my coffee preparing the morning shopping list for Lowes.  Yesterday I glued the control panel box up, figured out it was off, and moved onto control panel layout.

Control panel layout is the biggest pain and most time consuming.  You aren't just building for one game you are building for all games.  Last time the panel was huge so I made it symmetrical.  This time the panel is smaller so I needed to conserve space and comfort so the player 2 control set is actually setup outboard a bit.  I also reduced the space between buttons a bit on the arched 6 button set since it didn't fit my hand quite right.

So last night was spent measuring and aligning.  I like it close enough now so I drilled pilot holes for the spade bit and to ensure that I wouldn't knock the pattern out of alignment.  I set it up on the box to get a good look at it and I like it so onward and upward.  

Underneath side of original panel before removing everything.
Measure, align, ponder, and measure again.
Control panel test fit to see if I like the look.  I do.

Work for the day:
  • Drill holes on the bottom of the control panel box for Coin1, Coin2, and the control toggle (Player1 left group to Player1 center)
  • Rabbet and round-over the control panel box
  • Cut opening for the wires to go from the box to the computer
  • T-molding channel on the side panels
  • Prime everything
  • Prep control panel - holes for sticks and buttons, recess sticks, threaded inserts for sticks and trackball
  • Spend time having fun with the family:)

No comments: